May 7th - 13th by Cobra405/Mizagorn/Redstar/Mpeutz
mvpalmer blends retro synth with ancient sitar to create a complex neo-Cleopatra fusion:
Hopefully this Zelda-style Myna mix by Hylian_Knight won't be his Final Fantasy. "Link" to this mix to get in the mood:
The most recent contest over at sister site Worth1000 involved a lot of monkeying around. The title and rules: Raven: Monkey Challenge - Use Raven, Aviary's vector editor, to modify this monkey!
Remember the days when we had joysticks with one button? When it took 5 minutes to load a 32K game off your tape recorder? 8-bit takes us back to the nostalgic days of the latter end of the 2nd millennium with some really cool lo-res sprite art. Not only that, but also some smile-putting-on ColecoVision style Roc beats. We really like multi-faceted artists, and this guy has already scored 50 fave adds just since April 13th!
The challenges at Aviary almost always involve art or music (or both!) and they are open-ended.. there is no end or due date.
For our new members, here's an interesting twist to challenges: make your Aviary birdhouse's front door unique by adding pictures, colored and formatted text, and more!
This week’s Blackbox is the Wrinkler effect. It will impart a wrinkly distortion and lighting to any image. Use it alone or in combination with paper textures to produce an interesting canvas to build your creation on.
Just search for “wrinkler” in the Blackbox browser (Go to File -> Import Blackbox in Peacock) and start making awesome creations!
Ever wondered what it's like inside Aviary HQ and neighborhood? Get an eagle-eye peep, er, peck, uh.. peek into the wonderful world of Aviary's NYC office on 30th St. From birds to billiard balls and bicycles to bu -uh, nevermind - these guys are serious about having fun while creating the planet's best online tools!
Smart Layers - Phoenix Raven, Peacock and even other Phoenix files can be imported, exported or created from within Phoenix using Smart Layers. There are three ways to create a Smart Layer.
- Import - Use the Import Resource command from the file menu to load a previously saved file from the Aviary Repository. The file will be imported as a Smart Layer. Double click on the Smart Layer to open it.
- Export - Standard Layers can be converted to a Smart Layer. Select a layer and choose Edit Layer with Peacock, Raven or Phoenix from the Layers menu to open it in the secondary app. Alternately you can push a standard Layer to an app from the layer panel menu.
- Create - Use the New Raven,Peacock or Phoenix Layer command to create a new empty layer in the Phoenix file. Double click on the Smart layer to open it.
When you are editing a Smart Layer in the secondary application, you can monitor your progress by switching back to the main app. The layer will be updated with any changes made in the secondary app after a few seconds. Once you are done editing the Smart Layer in the secondary app, you have three options to add the layer back into the main application.
- Save as.. - Will save the file as an egg file, which will show up in your creations,. The resulting file will be added into the original file and maintain its Smart Layer control.
- Save and preserve changes - Will convert the file to a bitmap and will not save it as a file in your creations. The resulting bitmap will be added back into the original file as a standard layer.
- Discard - If you want to discard the changes, just close the new window.